Wednesday, June 01, 2005
Day 6, post transplant
Jacob still has a fever, so they started him on a more powerful antifungal drug, on top of the antibiotics, just in case. All of his cultures have come back negative. If the fever doesn't go away soon, he'll probably have a bunch of CT scans to see if he has an "occult" infection anywhere. His kidneys weren't producing, so he's on dopamine and lasix, and every drop of liquid in and out is carefully measured to track the balance. He;s getting both platelets and packed red cells. For a while this morning his oxygen saturation started to drop and we thought he was going to start getting oxygen, but it picked back up.
Dr. Agarwal came by today and said Jacob would probably commence to begin to feel better by sunday. We are getting by moment to moment, and it was a lift to hear there is an actual time when things will turn around.
Sometimes Jacob gets disoriented, from the drugs and fever. Tonight after another bout of what happens when the lining of one's entire digestive tract is sloughing off, he looked up at me, completely serious, and asked, "Is this show going to be on television?" The night before last he woke up saying "Get this off me!" and tugging on his IV line. Then he explained, "I was touring the factory and I just picked one up to look at it and some how it got attached to me."
But most of the (relatively rare) time he's awake, Jacob knows exactly where he is, and keeps track of what's going on. He said to me this evening, "I'm sorry I got you into all this."
Dr. Agarwal came by today and said Jacob would probably commence to begin to feel better by sunday. We are getting by moment to moment, and it was a lift to hear there is an actual time when things will turn around.
Sometimes Jacob gets disoriented, from the drugs and fever. Tonight after another bout of what happens when the lining of one's entire digestive tract is sloughing off, he looked up at me, completely serious, and asked, "Is this show going to be on television?" The night before last he woke up saying "Get this off me!" and tugging on his IV line. Then he explained, "I was touring the factory and I just picked one up to look at it and some how it got attached to me."
But most of the (relatively rare) time he's awake, Jacob knows exactly where he is, and keeps track of what's going on. He said to me this evening, "I'm sorry I got you into all this."