Wednesday, August 16, 2006
Lungs and Surf
We just got back from a day at the hospital getting Jacob's lungs checked out to see why he keeps getting pneumonia - first a spiral CT of his chest (sounds fancy!), then a long series of pulmonary function tests, and as finale, something called "the six minute walk".... Big fun.
Obviously, we don't have the results yet - we meet with the pulmonologist next week - but I was extremely encouraged just by watching how well he was able to complete the tests without getting out of breath. He couldn't have done it last week.
Here's a repeat picture of the PFT from last year before the bone marrow transplant:

But I wanted to tell everyone about a fantastic class I took last week: Surf Rescue. Although the course was intended mostly for surfers, who are often the first and most ocean-knowledgeable people on the scene, it was great for someone like me who life guards their own kids at the beach.
The first half was a very enjoyable CPR refresher taught by firefighter/paramedics, and then after lunch, we were in the water with rescuers from the harbor patrol. These are the guys that pull people out of the thunderous waves of Mavericks, and do most of the rescues off Devil's Slide. In fact they do most of the water rescues between Pacifica and Anno Nuevo.
I'd been afraid I wouldn't be able to keep up, but the course was well designed, and I found I really could drag a full grown man onto the beach using the techniques they taught us. To top it off we learned how to be rescued by jet ski, which entailed a (for me probably once in a life time) ride.
The class is masterminded by SurfPulse if you are interested. They'll post when it's offered again (I actually took it through the Half Moon Bay Rec Department.) They also have a great surf report, shark sightings, tide tables - you name it.
Obviously, we don't have the results yet - we meet with the pulmonologist next week - but I was extremely encouraged just by watching how well he was able to complete the tests without getting out of breath. He couldn't have done it last week.
Here's a repeat picture of the PFT from last year before the bone marrow transplant:

But I wanted to tell everyone about a fantastic class I took last week: Surf Rescue. Although the course was intended mostly for surfers, who are often the first and most ocean-knowledgeable people on the scene, it was great for someone like me who life guards their own kids at the beach.
The first half was a very enjoyable CPR refresher taught by firefighter/paramedics, and then after lunch, we were in the water with rescuers from the harbor patrol. These are the guys that pull people out of the thunderous waves of Mavericks, and do most of the rescues off Devil's Slide. In fact they do most of the water rescues between Pacifica and Anno Nuevo.
I'd been afraid I wouldn't be able to keep up, but the course was well designed, and I found I really could drag a full grown man onto the beach using the techniques they taught us. To top it off we learned how to be rescued by jet ski, which entailed a (for me probably once in a life time) ride.
The class is masterminded by SurfPulse if you are interested. They'll post when it's offered again (I actually took it through the Half Moon Bay Rec Department.) They also have a great surf report, shark sightings, tide tables - you name it.