Saturday, September 16, 2006
Moving ahead
The big news from our meeting with Jacob's neuro-oncologist yesterday - he gets to taper the Decadron starting today, and if all goes well, again in a couple weeks. If I'm doing the arithmetic correctly, that means he could be all the way off around Halloween!
Here is a picture of a tapir, which has nothing to do with taper, except I've been obsessed with visual puns lately, and the animal was much more attractive than a dry-wall taper:

He (Jacob, not the tapir) also finished the Cipro yesterday, so he should begin to feel better. That stuff was nasty. He made to at least one class everyday last week, and figured out on his own how to attend a different class section so he wouldn't miss science lab due to doctors appointments.
He's still getting out of breath. The pneumocystis will just take time - they are going keep him on medication for 3 more months - but his strength and coordination are beginning to come back. He's been phenomenal about his physical therapy exercises and they are paying off. Actually, he's been training me as well, and yesterday I went to Pilates and discovered just how much strength I'd gained working out with him.
Here is a picture of a tapir, which has nothing to do with taper, except I've been obsessed with visual puns lately, and the animal was much more attractive than a dry-wall taper:

He (Jacob, not the tapir) also finished the Cipro yesterday, so he should begin to feel better. That stuff was nasty. He made to at least one class everyday last week, and figured out on his own how to attend a different class section so he wouldn't miss science lab due to doctors appointments.
He's still getting out of breath. The pneumocystis will just take time - they are going keep him on medication for 3 more months - but his strength and coordination are beginning to come back. He's been phenomenal about his physical therapy exercises and they are paying off. Actually, he's been training me as well, and yesterday I went to Pilates and discovered just how much strength I'd gained working out with him.