Tuesday, December 12, 2006
Stuff
I had a weird experience just before Thanksgiving: I went to our storage locker to get out some serving things, and the combination didn't work...
It turned out that a couple months before, our credit card number was changed and the storage locker company never got the news. They sold everything in the locker at auction. It was just gone, vanished. It felt like the Twilight Zone. Something I believed absolutely was there, wasn't.
I was able to get in touch with the guy that bought the contents, and Ellie and I went to see him at the San Jose flea market, but he'd gotten rid of almost everything I cared about, and what little was left I found I didn't want any more - I knew I could never look at any of it again without seeing it in those sleazy surroundings.
So, we are lighter by a heck of a lot of stuff. Actually it feels pretty good.
It turned out that a couple months before, our credit card number was changed and the storage locker company never got the news. They sold everything in the locker at auction. It was just gone, vanished. It felt like the Twilight Zone. Something I believed absolutely was there, wasn't.
I was able to get in touch with the guy that bought the contents, and Ellie and I went to see him at the San Jose flea market, but he'd gotten rid of almost everything I cared about, and what little was left I found I didn't want any more - I knew I could never look at any of it again without seeing it in those sleazy surroundings.
So, we are lighter by a heck of a lot of stuff. Actually it feels pretty good.